Saturday 3 October 2015

The Holy Spirit Challenge (Moderated by @UgoTheGogo)


As with a lot of us, I was one of those who got to know the Holy Spirit much later in my walk with Christ, forgetting that without Him, I couldn’t even have come to Christ. 

You see, it’s easy to take The Holy Spirit for granted, to act like we do everything on our own and are the way we are by our own strength. We forget to acknowledge Him or even remember Him. After all our default human nature is to be selfish and take the glory to ourselves. 

It is not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord Almighty. Zechariah 4:6

My Holy Spirit encounters have come in all shapes and form. One particular one I like are the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit. And my favourite two out of those are wisdom and joy.

(Gift) Wisdom - I’m talking about worldly wisdom and Godly wisdom. Wisdom and knowledge in the revelation of Christ and wisdom in your everyday life. You know those moments when you’re reading a bible verse you’ve heard/read a thousand times but for the first time, it really clicks. You get a new revelation for it and you’re giddy with excitement because you could literally take someone to church and preach about it. Yes, those ones! I live for those ‘Aha!’ , fist-pumping moments. That Godly wisdom when you’re about to do something really silly and you get convicted by the Spirit (I call it a Spirit pinch) and you don’t do it. Days/weeks/months later you see the outcome of what would’ve been if you did do it and you’re telling your friends ’That could’ve been me, BUT GOD!!’ You’re looking up like ‘God, that could’ve only been you that saved me from xxx. Thank you.” Did you know that’s the Holy Spirit saving you from all those mishaps, little everyday crisis and so much more than words could explain? We can all recall those countless times we could’ve died, failed, been stranded, been hurt, even as little as stubbing your toe! But the Holy Spirit is just there with those little insights of wisdom saying ‘Do this, don’t do that. Go here, say this, don’t say that.’ (Isaiah 30:21) Sometimes I just look back, and I’m in awe. Not even of the big things, but those little ones that no one ever sees or knows. Just seeing how those little faith actions pulled you through, or listening to your Spirit over an issue and how it worked in your favour, doesn’t it just make you smile and be filled with gratitude?   

(Fruit) Joy - Someone recently asked me why I was always so bubbly and vibrant. My answer - well the Holy Spirit of course. Check my snapchat at 9am when I’m going to work and you’d see me doing the shoki during my praise session. Come back 9pm and I’m dancing to African praise when taking off my make-up. It wasn’t till I got that question I thought deep and hard as to why I always seemed so happy. Was it because everything was always going fine? No. Was I Bill Gate’s daughter? Nope. Was I faking it? Definitely not. It seemed like I was always happy because I really was filled with joy all the time!
The only reason I can explain my joy in the midst of all the hustles and bustles and highs and lows of life lies in the Holy Spirit. I’m not always happy, but I always have joy. The psalmist says there is fullness of joy in His presence. (Psalm 16:11) Listen to enough gospel songs and you’d know what I’m talking about. And if you’re Nigerian and understand your language and listen to a song in it, then you’ll really know what’s up. Joy that overflows even when the enemy is trying to pull one on ya. Joy that no man can take away or give you. That’s the Holy Spirit right there. No matter what comes, no matter what goes, the joy the Holy Spirit puts in you is second to any other type of feeling. 

I could go on and on but I’ll leave you with this song that describes me every time I get a compliment:
“People dey ask me say, na wetin dey make me shine/smile, I just dey tell den say na Jesus (my Holy Spirit) dey make me shine/smile.”

If you don’t have a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit, I urge you to intentionally seek one with Him. He longs to reveal Himself to you. And guys, He is realer than the realest. 
I hope this has made you think a bit, smile but most of all, have you longing for the Holy Spirit. I pray as you find Him, you will be blessed. God bless you!

  • Bukiie Smart

No comments:

Post a Comment