Sunday 7 February 2016

Your heart = His worship.

when the music fades, and all is slipped away, and I simply come …

“oh crap, I forgot to lock my room door.”

… I’ll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself…

“did I send that text to xxx? I need to call xxx before I leave church. Hm what else do I need to do?Actually…”

“I’m coming back to the heart of worship, when it’s all about you, it’s all about you Jesus.”

Now hold on for a minute, what did I just sing?
It’s all about who? Your heart is where?

Today, I’ll be sharing something I’ve been learning anew. It’s very familiar and you probably know more than a lot about it - your worship. 

We know it; it’s something we all have been taught from our early days in children’s church to teens church to youth church. Praise and Worship. What I didn’t get taught however, as with a lot of things you don’t get ‘taught’ in church, was THE heart of worship. The root. 

You see, I sat back the other day just humming this song and I began to take particular notice of the lyrics. 
“I’m coming back…” have you strayed from your relationship with God? Have you lost touch? Is your soul down cast and has been for a while? God is telling you, asking you - come back. 
“.. the heart of worship…” is Jesus. The reason we worship is Jesus. Who we worship is Jesus. The heart of worship isn’t the song or the singer, it’s not your hands lifted high or your eyes closed, it’s Jesus. 
Because in the above, I’m pretty sure I had my eyes closed and hands lifted high but somehow my thoughts were still wandering all over the place. I tried to re-focus but really the song was in the background and my thoughts at the forefront of my mind. 
“… it’s all about you Jesus.” Is it really? What is all about Jesus? Your reason for coming to church? Didn’t you just want a reason to dress up and look real good? Or do you not just want your parents to be upset for not going. Do you ACTUALLY GO TO CHURCH BECAUSE IT’S ALL ABOUT JESUS? Because you want more of Him? Because your soul is thirsty and all that can fill it up is Jesus? Because you’ve had a tough week and only God can understand? 
Yes, I too, am hanging my head down just thinking about this. Because obviously, those are reasons why I go to church, but not ALL the ONLY reasons. 

Does that sound familiar to you? If you’re nodding then I’ve got a word for you. 
We often let our mind wander off or drift away when we take out the root of our worship. It’s like with trees. What is a tree without it’s roots? How can it grow? Where would it get its nutrients from?
That’s how it is with worship. How will we get encouraged, receive our word, a prophecy if we take out the heart - the root - of it? How can we grow in our spirit if our heart isn’t there? Where does our thirsty soul feed from? Have you ever just received new revelation from a song you’ve heard in church all your life? Amazing isn’t it? You’re so giddy you could preach a sermon on what you’ve just learnt. 
That’s what you get when you realise the heart of worship. You’re so focused on Him, so expectant, like a giddy 5 year old staying up to see Santa. Your body, mind and soul is on Jesus alone. Your thoughts don’t even have time to wander off because all your attention is on Him. 
Now while all this sounds blissful, I must admit it’s not easy. It’s like trying to understand something you’ve been staring at for 15 mins unsuccessfully. You get so frustrated squinting and re-reading the words you begin to have a headache. When you then take a break and come back refreshed and relaxed, you actually start to understand. 
Same with this. You can shut your eyes real tight and try hard to focus on the song but all that will get you is a headache. 
Here’s what I propose instead. You allow your Spirit to be free and let God take over. Don’t force it, but try to be conscious of it. Sing those songs and mean it. Pay attention to the lyrics and let your spirit become one with the meaning. Then, you get the revelation, you get your word, you get Jesus. Come back to the heart of worship, come back to Jesus.  



No comments:

Post a Comment